Arab Spring and European Fall - promoting democracy abroad while fighting crisis at home
Forelæsningsrække: What's up Europe? EU at a crossroad
Recession dominates European politics, while democratization is the hot topic when debating the Arab Spring. Can the EU handle domestic problems and financial crisis while at the same time contributing positively to the democratic, economic and social changes in Northern Africa and the Middle East? Will the EU seize or miss a defining moment in history?
Join us when Ministers for Foreign Affairs Carl Bildt (SWE) and Villy Søvndal (DK) talk about European foreign policy in relation to reforms in Northern Africa and the Middle East.
A researcher from the University of Copenhagen will give a short introduction to EU and foreign affairs. The speeches are followed by a debate with the audience.
- Welcome by Ralf Hemmingsen, Rector at the University of Copenhagen
- A researcher from the University of Copenhagen
- Carl Bildt, Sweden's Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Villy Søvndal, Denmark's Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Debate with the audience
- Moderator: Michael Jarlner, International Editor, Politiken
For more information about the lecture please visit the University of Copenhagen's webside.
The event is free, but registration is necessary. Registration opens on 29 February.